Pages

Saturday, January 23, 2016

Grand Prix plaque and other observations

     Finally! The plaque for the Grand Prix champions is now up on the bulletin board at the Lions Golf Course club house. After having two years worth of champions and promising them that the plaque broadcasting their accomplishment would be put up for review, the act was finally accomplished. Congratulations again to 2015 champions, Roy January and his partner Chester Burkes, for winning the Team title and to Terry Rodriguez for his Individual title. You can view the
plaque on the bulletin board in the hallway leading out onto the patio next to the snackbar.
      Playing late in the tournament last week at Jimmy Clay, it was noted that several of the sand traps had numerous shoe prints left in the sand. Apparently someone failed to rake the sand and it was certainly unjust when other players' ball landed in these indentations. The ASGA would like to remind its members to take the time to rake the sand after hitting out of it.  Most ASGA members are very conscientious about doing this but it only takes one golfer to make all of us look bad.
      I see that Bob Remey, ASGA Tournament Chairman, has put everyone on notice that the ASGA will adhere to the new rule, 14-1B, regarding anchored clubs (I say clubs because it doesn't just apply to putters). I personally don't use an anchored putting style but I sympathize with those who might be hit by this new rule. I didn't agree with the USGA when they made up the rule and I am still of that belief. To me it is an unnecessary rule and one that will be unjustly applied to a few golfers. I understand Bob instituting the rule, but I wonder about the enforcement of the rule. It is a two stroke penalty for using the anchor stroke and I suppose that means two strokes for every time that a person uses the anchoring stroke. Wow! I hope I don't play with anyone who has been using the anchor style. I don't won't the job of determining whether it is an anchor stroke or not. According to the USGA, there are several similar styles that may or may not be allowable, i.e., holding the putter shaft against the forearm which is okay as long as the shaft is not anchored above the elbow. I'm sorry but I just don't get it!