Pages

Thursday, November 24, 2016

Joe Noon Sets Record Round With Four Clubs

     For most people (if not all), golf is a hard game. We try to make it easier by keeping and using as many different clubs as we are allowed (14 is the limit rule) and still it is a hard game. Well, it seems that it is a hard game except for a few and one of those few happens to be Joe Noon who recently set the net scoring record (for four clubs or less) with a 59 at the first annual ASGA four-club Individual tournament held at Jimmy Clay golf course.
     Noon, who plays with an ASGA handicap of 23, indicated, "I had to
concentrate much more and just take an easy swing with the clubs that I selected. I chose my 3-wood, 5-wood, 7-iron, and my putter to play the tournament. It makes me wonder if I'm not carrying too many clubs in our regular tournaments."
     Surprising as the four-club format score of 82 (net 59) was, this was no one-time fluke. Noon has won or placed several times in other ASGA tournaments and has over $180 in credit at the local pro shops. Noon, who walked the course with a small "Sunday bag" said, "I played with my group and we weren't taking this tournament that seriously and it probably helped me shoot well. Other members of my group played well also. Don Theiss won in the 100-Club with a 63 while Robert Sebring took second place with a 64." Both Noon and Theiss were selected for the mythical East All-Star team in the recent East/West season series.
     Noon always plays with a pink shirt and a pink cap and does so in support of his sister, Phyllis, who has been fighting different forms of cancer for the last few years. "The caps I pick up rather cheaply were found while I am on vacation in some foreign country. I have a number of them," said Noon.
     Others ASGA members were successful in the tournament as well. L. D. Washington won flight #1 by six strokes with a 62, as did R.H. Harris in the second flight with a 63. Jimmy Williams won by four in the third flight shooting a 62. Noon won the fourth flight by six strokes while Frank Benson used a one stroke margin and a 62 to claim the top spot in the fifth flight.